Power Rangers: TV Show vs. Movie Reboot
If you haven’t taken a couple of hours and a few coins out your pocket this weekend to see The Power Rangers, I need you to do better. Like many 90’s baby, the Power Rangers was a staple in our childhood. I definitely remember coming home from kindergarten to tune in and act out the fight scenes with my cousins. You can’t fathom my delight when I heard the news of a reboot. High key, the movie was better than I thought it would be so I’m grateful to the writers and producers. Like any reboot, there were differences between the TV show and the new movie. Here are 10 differences I noticed. Oh there will be spoilers so read at your own risk.
1) The Power Rangers are different colors/races. Let me explain:
*Trini(Yellow Ranger) - TV Show: Asian; Movie: Hispanic
*Billy (Blue Ranger)- TV Show: White; Movie: Black
*Zach (Black Ranger)-TV Show: Black; Movie: Asian
I guess they wanted to be a touch more politically correct and not have an Asian be the yellow ranger and a black person be the black ranger. I get it.
2) We are given a bit of a backstory on Zordon and Rita. We find out that not only were Zordon and Rita friends but they were also Rangers. Zordon was the original Red Ranger while Rita was the original Green Ranger.
3) Rangers portrayed in the movie were a bunch of misfits but were model students in the show.
4) No Bulk and Skull. They are probs the only bullies I enjoyed.
5) No Angel Grove Youth Center for Zach to bust a move in, Kimberley to teach her workout class or Jason to practice his martial arts; guess the pit was it’s substitute.
6) Though the Rangers zords were the same, they looked completely different. Granted, I know everything was going to get an upgrade but that was not a sabertooth or mastodon and you can't tell me otherwise.
7) Speaking of zords, the Megazord was underwhelming as well and gave me Transformers realness, which I was not here for.
8) Rita was white and half naked. My Rita was a woman of color and dressed in full garb.
9) The Putties were not created from clay or made in an oven like in the show. Rather they were stone that emerged from the ground to wreak havoc in Angel Grove. Oh and they didn’t seem to make the traditional Putties’ sound either.
10) Alpha was cool, calm, collected and a smart ass in the movie while my Alpha was a complete spazz.
All-in-all, the movie was lit and if anyone says otherwise aint real.